Update: Summer Olympics 2016 - July 31, 2016
With the Olympic games in Brazil approaching, the Public Health Agency of Canada reminds travelers to take precautions to ensure your health, including the appropriate travel vaccinations, protecting against insect and animal bites, safe food and water precautions, as well as health insurance. A Zika virus outbreak has been declared in Brazil, so it important to protect against mosquito bites. Pregnant women or women planning to get pregnant should avoid travelling to the Olympics.
- Be up-to-date with your routine vaccines and adult boosters recommended for Canada
- Drive with caution, the leading cause of death among international travellers is traffic accidents.
- Avoid driving on unfamiliar and/or rural roads, especially at night.
- Don’t drink and drive; excessive drinking is a leading cause of traffic accidents.
- Avoid close contact with wild or domestic animals even if they appear friendly, especially dogs